Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to hire a licensed electrician to do electrical work?

For your and your family’s safety and to avoid expensive mistakes we recommend hiring a licensed electrician to perform any electrical work that is beyond your skill level. Remember –“Safety first”

1. When do I need an electrical permit?

Usually permit is required to do the following:

A) Install or alter any permanent wiring or electrical device

B) Run additional wiring, put in an electrical outlet or light fixture, install a receptacle for a garage-door opener, or convert from fuse box to circuit breakers

C) Install or alter low-voltage systems such as security alarms, stereo or computer systems

Usually a homeowner does not need a permit to replace electrical devices or to perform maintenance on an existing electrical installation. If you are not sure if you need a permit call LMV Electric at 773-575-8252 or call the building department responsible for your area.

2. How do I get a permit for electrical work?

Usually your local building department will issue your electrical permit. We have included some useful links to some of the villages in our service area. Electrical permit fee depends on the size of the project and is paid when the permit is issued. Some municipalities offer same day permits!

a. Village of Mount Prospect Permit Information:

Mount Prospect ELECTRICAL CODE ADOPTED:§ion_id=898891

b. Arlington Heights Permit Processing

Village of Arlington Heights Electrical Permit Application

c. City of Prospect Heights Building Permits

d. City of Des Plaines Building Permits


e. Village of Palatine Building Permits Information


f. Village of Wheeling

Permit Application Sample

g. City of Park Ridge

Permit Application

h. Elk Grove Village

Your Guide To Online Permitting

3. How do I get an inspection?

Any work performed under a permit must be inspected by a certified electrical inspector. At least 24-hours’ notice is required to request an inspection. Unless all of the work is outside and accessible, an adult needs to be present for the inspector.

4. How many inspections do I need?

Most electrical permits require three inspections: rough-in, service, and final.

A. Rough-in inspection is necessary when all of the new circuits are wired, grounding wires are in, the raceways and boxes are installed, and any necessary nail plates are put on. Do not cover any work with insulation, receptacles, or wall switches until the inspector has approved it.

B. Service inspection is done when the service electrical mast, the electric meter base, the service panels, and the grounding electrodes and terminals have been installed. Wires must be visible without removing cover devices. Sometimes, the inspector is able to inspect these items during the rough-in inspection.

C. Final inspection is necessary upon completion of the electrical work. Be sure that panel boxes are covered and circuits are labeled in the correct spaces on the box. All of the equipment, fixtures, switches, and appliances must be installed, grounded, and energized for the final inspection.

5. Do I need a permit if I do work by myself?

Call your villages Building Division for more information but generally you can obtain a permit to do the electrical work yourself if you are the owner and the occupant of the dwelling. You may not perform any electrical installations or modifications on a house intended for sale, lease, rent. If you do not own or do not intend to live in the unit, a licensed electrical contractor must do the work.